How MP Beijukye Battled Deadly Virus Until His Death


Members of Parliament have this morning paid their last respects to deceased Ruhaama County MP William Beijukye Zinkuratiire.

Beijukye died on Friday night after battling chronic Hepatitis B virus that damaged his liver.

At exactly 11:30am, the casket containing Beijukye’s body was received at Parliament parking lot by Deputy Speaker Jacob Oulanyah who was accompanied by some MPs and ministers¬†amidst a heavy morning rain.

At 2pm, Parliament will hold a special sitting where MPs will pay tribute to MP Beijukye.

Beijukye beat three others in the general election to replace First Lady Janet Kataaha Museveni (now Education minister) who bowed out of elective politics in 2015.

Janet Museveni is expected to pay tribute to Beijukye in the Parliament chamber during a special sitting at 2pm.


Soon after taking oath as MP in May last year, Beijukye was flown to India for a liver operation after developing a huge tumor.

In an interview with a local media in September after he returned from India, Beijukye narrated his ordeal and battle with this Hepatitis B virus. Below is the verbatim;

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis B which created a tumor on my liver. With the advice of the local doctors, I was told to go to India for an operation which was successfully done.

When I was in campaign, I suffered typhoid and ulcers, and after campaigns I was relatively okay, but it persisted. Whenever I could touch where the liver is, I would feel pain. I lost appetite to zero, I could eat but find myself going to the toilet like 7 times a day passing out milky and yellow things I didn’t understand.

I could use toilet paper to see what I was passing, only to realize that I was passing out food which was not digested. It had just changed the colour because of the temperature inside the stomach.

I was much concerned and went to a certain hospital to check everything after taking several drugs for ulcers. They tested ulcer, typhoid and all tests were negative, but when they tested for hepatitis B, it was positive and further scan proved that I had a tumor on my liver.

I mobilized funds and went to India in June[last year] and it is from India that I was told that the tumor was covering a bigger area of the liver and that they could not operate me. So I was given medicines and told to first go to Uganda for 6weeks and then come back for operation, and I am now okay and I think after two weeks I will be in parliament representing my people of Ruhaama.







Leave a comment